Sunday, March 18, 2012

Muffin search

I am in search of finding the right muffin.  Hubby and I often take trips to the local grocery store to get treats, including muffins.  They make the BEST jumbo muffins in their bakery!  They are moist, delicious as I'll get out, and often I just want to eat the whole package of 4 in one sitting.  Just being completely honest here, naturally, I haven't...yet.  However, I'm having a hard time shelling out $5 for 4 muffins that go really really quickly.  Plus, it means a trip to the store, and its kind of out of my way of my regular shopping trip.

This week I am going to try 4 different recipes for muffins.  I just tried some Cinnamon Sugar Muffins. The recipe follows:

Cinnamon Sugar Muffins
Cook time: 20 mins Prep time: 5 mins

Total time: 25 mins
Serves: 12
Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup low-fat milk
  • 1/2 cup melted butter (applesauce or oil works too)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2/3 cups sugar
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Put cups in 12-muffin cup pan.
  2. Beat milk, butter and egg in a medium bowl.
  3. Add in flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt all at once and stir just until flour is moistened. (Batter will be lumpy; do not over stir.)
  4. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake until golden brown (16 to 20 minutes).
  5. Immediately remove from pan and carefully roll hot muffin tops in melted butter, then in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Serve warm!
Since I was not all that impressed with the recipe I decided not to link it here. Ultimately, I am looking for a jumbo muffin, so I made 6 in a jumbo muffin tin and they baked for about 18 minutes and seemed to be done. (Except hubby's, the handful of peanut butter chips he put in made things a little difficult, so his weren't cooked all the way).  I tasted the batter and didn't taste much so I added about 4 Tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon-sugar.  Even after that I didn't think they had much flavor and were pretty disappointing really.  

Next, I think I will try some Blueberry Streusel Muffins (from joyofbaking.com), Coffee cake muffins (from America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book), and Banana Crumb Muffins (from allrecipes.com).  
Wish me luck.  

No comments:

Post a Comment