Thursday, October 3, 2013

Chicken adventures: Happy Hatch Day 4 months!

My babies turned 4 months old the other day!  So exciting!  They're all growed up and probably about ready to start laying eggs.  Chickens traditionally start laying eggs when they are anywhere between 4 and 6 months old.  And yes, I've been looking around every single day for probably a few weeks just in case they started early.  In honor of their changes we finally decided to put on the nesting boxes last weekend.  We still have some things to do, but we got the frame on there. Observe...(I just painted it yesterday because its supposed to rain for the next 3 days or so)

 And here it is from the inside of the coop!
With the lip that is on the front we are going to put a piece of PVC pipe that we have left over from the PVC run and use that as their perch.  We got an inch wide dowel that we were going to use but it just wasn't long enough and we couldn't figure a good way to attach two together, so we decided to just do the pipe.  We also still have to put in the dividers, I think we are planning on doing 4 boxes, but I'm not completely sure.  I also got this bail of straw in preparation.
It does not look the same as the ones that we used to get back in Utah, which is really weird to both hubby and I.  It just seems dirtier and not as compact, and just all around different, I'm not sure what it is about it.  

And....without further ado, here are the pictures of the babies on/near their hatch day!  
Basil...he's so handsome!
And Parker...he's super handsome too, has started crowing regularly the last few weeks!
 Henny and Penny...I love how the left one has its head tilted...so cute!
 One of the brownies (brown leghorns)
'Lil red...she's so cute, and so tiny!  I'm really wishing I would have kept the other 'lil red hen... :(
 Red sex link...
 One of the golden laced hens...
 And the other golden girl...and henny or penny...
 Blue hen...
Both blue hens pecking at my shoes and pant legs (a regular activity when I go in the run).  P.S. You get to see my wonderful shoes that I should not have been wearing in the run.
I love these blue girls, they are just so cute!  And soooo feisty, but I love it!  :)
xoxo
c

No comments:

Post a Comment