Monday, May 6, 2013

Clean stove grills

So, I found this thing on Pinterest about how to clean the grills on your gas stove.  You put the grills in a gallon bag with 1/4 cup of ammonia and let it sit for 12 hours (outside is best), scrub a little bit, and your done.  Since we were moving and cleaning the apartment from top to bottom, I figured it couldn't hurt to try it.  Ammonia is terrible!  I wish I would have had a gas mask when I did this, it was just awful!

Here they were before: (hopefully you can see how bad they were)


So, the next morning, I tried to plug my nose, took them out of the bags took them inside to a sink with warm water and a scrubby and scrubbed them a little bit.  It didn't take very much work to get the stuff off, just a little bit!  Which is not the same that can be said about the stove itself, it was pretty bad, but thank heavens for Comet, I love Comet (powder)!  It is my favorite cleaning product ever! (I think)  It does such a great job!
Here they are after and on the stove in all its glory:

That back burner was a pain to clean and didn't work very well--but its a whole lot better than it was before!
*Angels singing*
I don't think I'll ever do anything with ammonia again, because its just sooooo awful.  But this worked really well!!!  :)

UPDATE 9/17/13:
While this did do a fantastic job cleaning the grills, I don't think I would do it again.  I still have the bottle of ammonia and am not sure how to dispose of it.  We can't put it down the drain because it is not good for septic tanks and I think it is considered a hazardous waste and may contaminate our water supply.  Plus, where we get our water from a well, it would directly contaminate us.  It would probably also not be good for the crops that the farmer is growing around us, which who knows how far that could go.  So, I have to go to the hazardous waste dump around here and get rid of it.  I'm not sure where it is so I have to find that. So, I would not use ammonia like that again.  :(

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I just cleaned a really awful rusty dutch oven, and I found online to soak it in vinegar overnight. That was really helpful, too. And it didn't smell quite as bad as ammonia would! I've also heard soaking metal in cola will remove rust. Anyway, the grills look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, well done! Will you come clean my oven now? :)

    ReplyDelete