Wednesday, May 22, 2013

No 'poo and the humidity

So, not sure if some of you remember, but I have been doing this thing where I don't use shampoo or conditioner, I use baking soda and vinegar instead.  Baking soda is a cleanser and the vinegar helps condition it.

Ever since we moved moved from Utah to Iowa my hair has not felt right.  It felt oily and thick and just really gross, even after "washing" it quite a bit.  I found this blog and post, Code Red Hat where she talks about two different methods of the no shampoo shampoo.  The first is what I've been doing for 7 months now (really its been that long, wow!).  1 tablespoon of baking soda mixed with a cup of water as your shampoo and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with a cup of water as your conditioner.  In a desperate move to get my hair back to the soft wonderfulness that it was before we moved here I decided to try method 2.  Here it is: have a small container of straight baking soda in a waterproof container in your shower.  When you are ready to shampoo, get your hand wet, put about a tablespoon of baking soda in your hand and make it into a paste.  Use this paste and apply it to the base of your roots and just get it everywhere, applying in a circular motion.  Go ahead and finish washing and let the baking soda hang out on your head.  After you are done make sure all the soda has dissolved and you feel your hair being slippery.  I know now what she means by "slippery" feeling, I never really noticed before.  Then rinse really well!  She also suggested (for the conditioner) to use apple cider vinegar for dry to normal hair and white vinegar for normal to oily hair.  I hadn't ever heard that part before so I figured I'd give white vinegar a try.  VOILA!  I tried the straight baking soda and the white vinegar and my hair is back, Jack!  I'm so excited!  I don't know what it is about being here, I wonder if its the well water that we use in this house, or if it is the humidity or what (probably the humidity), but before we moved here my hair was just fine, soft and springy and it was awesome.  Well, its awesome again and feels clean and wonderful.  I don't think I'll ever go back to regular shampoo again, it feels so much cleaner, I know its weird, but it really does!  And by the way, I hardly ever smell the vinegar, even in the shower and definitely not on my hair.  And here's a pic just for fun, I need a smaller container for the baking soda, but this'll do!  :)
Beautiful, huh?!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment