Monday, July 8, 2013

Chicken coop build: episode 1

Well, we've been working on building the coop for about a month now, I think.  Ever since we moved out of hubby's parent's house we have not been as able as we used to be, and our work ethic has gone down.  When we lived with them, we were doing things all the time, building fences, cleaning up the yard, building shelves and helping finish the basement.  Then, we moved out for a year and a half and didn't do as much as we used to, so we kind of got out of shape when it comes to doing things and ambition.  Plus, its pretty hot and very humid (sometimes) here, which also hinders the process.  Its mostly a lazy problem.  :)

I believe the measurements of the coop and run are thus: the coop part is 6 x 6 feet I believe, and the run is 6 x 10.  I could be wrong, but I think that that is the case.  Granted, we could have made it a lot cheaper and easier than we did, but we wanted it to be really nice and something that will last a long time and be something in the yard to be proud of.  The coop is also going to be portable, so when we decide to move out of the house that we are renting we can take it with us to the next house.  (Maybe...its so darned heavy! - Just kidding, we'll make it happen!) :)

I've had these pictures on hand since the beginning of the build, and since I'm running out of things to talk about, I decided I shouldn't wait until the end.
Here is the base of the frame for the coop:
We used those garden stakes in the corners to keep it square.  And because these are the things that'll be in the dirt and moisture, we used treated wood so that it will withstand the weather.  

These are the uprights that everything will rest on.  They were real, um...fun...to put in!

This is what the corners look like and the brackets we used to put these pieces together.

Here is where we put some of the uprights and the frame pieces.

This is looking into the run.  Notice the framing for the top part, this is where we will attach the chain link or chicken wire for the roof, I'm not sure which one we are planning on using where.

That was exciting, wasn't it?
Thank you to the everyone that stops by and thank you for checking out what we're up to! :) We're having a lot of fun with it! It sucks, but its going to be really great!

Up and coming: roof, trim and paint!  Oh yeah!

Also, I'm planning on building another set of shelves much like the other set except these ones will be 5 feet wide, 16 inches deep and 6 feet tall.  This will be for the mud room so we have more storage.  I think I'll put some hooks and stuff on the side so I can hang things on it, which would be really convenient.

P.S. The peppermint cotton balls lasted for about a week in deterring the mouses, then I noticed more "evidence" the other day.  Ugh!  Also, I don't know how worried I should be about everything...We have a stupid mole too, wrecking up the yard.  I should probably stop by the hardware store and get something for grubs.  Argh...The joys of country life :)  However, we have been dreaming about what we would do to the house if we had the option to buy it (not likely), but its really fun to think about!  The house is awesome, needs some love and affection, but it could be so much more!!!  Anyway.... :)
xoxo

1 comment: